Apple has a little bit of an issue with its iPhone. And its silence on the subject is making issues worse.
Over the final a number of days, analysts have mentioned that Apple’s iPhone X, in addition to its broader iPhone division, are affected by lower-than-expected gross sales. One analyst went as far as to say that the iPhone X is “dead.”
Those studies, nevertheless, adopted a examine from Counterpoint Research that advised Apple’s iPhone X captured extra income within the fourth quarter than every other handsets. What’s extra, all iPhone fashions mixed to generate 90% of the smartphone market’s income.
So, is the iPhone, and extra particularly the iPhone X, in hassle? The just one who is aware of is Apple. And at the least thus far, it’s not speaking.
Alas, there’s nothing left to do however speak about that and all the opposite Apple information from the previous week. Read on for extra:
Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s expertise e-newsletter
- In a word to buyers this week, Mirabaud Securities analyst Neil Campling mentioned that “the iPhone X is lifeless” and Apple could have no alternative however to “discontinue” the handset this 12 months. He cited a report from Apple manufacturing companion Taiwan Semiconductor (TSMC) that advised its iPhone inventory is “at record highs.” Speaking to CNBC on Friday, Campling mentioned the iPhone X’s drawback is that it’s “too expensive.”
- In notes to buyers on Thursday, each Bank of America Merrill Lynch and J.P. Morgan analysts mentioned Apple’s iPhone gross sales are slumping and could have been below the Street’s expectations during the last quarter. The analysts primarily based their findings on TSMC’s acknowledgment this week that second-quarter income will vary between $7.eight billion to $7.9 billion. Analysts had anticipated second-quarter gross sales of $eight.eight billion. While TSMC didn’t cite Apple by identify, the corporate, which derives a big portion of its income from the iPhone, mentioned the cellular market is affected by “weak demand.”
- All of that obvious unhealthy information got here after Counterpoint Research revealed this week that Apple’s iPhone X captured 35% of the smartphone market’s income in the course of the fourth quarter. Apple’s iPhones collectively captured 90% of smartphone profits in the course of the interval. Even if the iPhone’s gross sales are off, in different phrases, no different firm can generate a revenue like Apple.
- Apple will launch three new iPhones this 12 months, together with one that may price simply $550, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo mentioned this week. The analyst, who has a powerful monitor document of predicting Apple’s plans, mentioned that the cheapest iPhone to be released this year will include a 6.1-inch LCD display screen. It’ll even have a design just like that of the present iPhone X, which prices $999. Kuo added that a budget iPhone might have a dual-SIM function that may assist customers simply connect with worldwide service networks.
- Earlier this 12 months, Apple acquired a information startup known as Texture that allowed customers to entry as much as 200 magazines for simply $9.99 a month. Bloomberg reported this week that Apple will launch a similar service built on the Texture platform later this 12 months. The subscription service could be constructed into Apple News and permit customers to subscribe to the media retailers they wish to learn. Apple and the media retailers would ostensibly share within the month-to-month income stream.
One thing more…Former FBI Director James Comey wrote in his guide A Higher Loyalty that was launched this week that each Apple and Google “drove me crazy” over their stance on encryption and privateness. He added that the businesses and others in Silicon Valley “don’t see the darkness” that the FBI sees.